LOCAL SOURCE OF CHILLS.
World Renowned Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease
It is going to take big name doctors like this guy here to change the school of thought and overall care of traditional doctors and medicine. We must begin to agree on processed food being the culprit and whole foods being the cure.
Breakfast of Champions
LOVE these breakfast ideas via Mindbodygreen.com.
- Two-egg omelet (or three egg whites) with lots of greens + ¼ avocado on gluten-free toast.
- Sweet omelet: 2 eggs, one tablespoon of Greek yogurt, one tablespoon of ground flaxseed, cinnamon, frozen berries, ½ banana. Mix well. Fry in coconut oil.
- One or two boiled or poached eggs with sautéed spinach, onion, zucchini, and tomatoes, drizzle of lemon, plus ¼ avocado.
- Ezekiel toast or unprocessed seed toast with three tablespoons of cottage cheese or ricotta, a piece of smoked salmon, ¼ avocado and sliced tomatoes.
- Sweet cottage cheese: Ezekiel toast with 3-4 tablespoons of cottage cheese or ricotta, and a drizzle of honey and cinnamon.
- Pan-fried mushrooms in coconut oil and thyme with goat’s cheese and herbs.
- Zucchini, mint and ricotta fritters.
- Gluten-free pancakes — a great weekend option.
- Chia pudding: chia seeds soaked overnight in milk or water. Add fruits and yogurt of choice.
- Homemade sugar-free granola with 2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt and a sprinkle of chia seeds.
- Smashed seeds and avocado with goats cheese and tomato on toast: ½ avo smashed with lemon juice, Himalayan salt, mixed seeds and sprinkle of goats cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Baked oatmeal: slow-cooked oats, cinnamon, berries, banana, coconut butter, nut butter and almond milk. Mix together and baked in the oven. Topped with nuts and berries.
Check out these beautiful Swiss Chard leaves. HUGE! An amazing source of vitamins K, A, and C, magnesium, potassium, iron, and fiber. And….would be incredible for making gluten-free wraps.
Shop Seasonal: Month of May
April was a busy month! I’m excited to get back into routine, which includes my Sunday farmers market trips. And the month of May could not be more enticing…there are tons of new fruit and veggie crops that will brighten market aisles, as well as my dinner plates.
Here’s this months list of what’s in season!
- Apricots (1st month!)
- Basil (1st month!)
- Blackberries (1st month!)
- Blueberries (1st month!)
- Bok Choy
- Cherries (1st month of only 2 months!)
- Nectarines (1st month!)
- Peaches (1st month!)
- Raspberries (1st month!)
- Summer squash (1st month)
Amazing list! Enjoy filling your fridge this month!!!!
Home in Arizona and am so grateful that my family supports healthy eating and a whole food, organic diet. Roasted lemon basil organic chicken and roasted organic spring vegetables in garlic, rosemary and coconut oil. The epitome of comfort food.
How to Shop: Eggs
So many labels. How do we make the best purchasing choices at the grocery store when there are 10 different options to choose from?
Love this easy guide for buying the best eggs by Takepart.com; lists what to avoid, what to look for, and where to shop!
- Cage-Free: This label simply means the absence of a cage. It doesn’t mean the absence of fences or enclosures in general. It also doesn’t guarantee that chickens have access to an outside area. Birds that qualify as cage-free can still be packed tightly into an overpopulated and darkened barn.
- Free-Range: When chickens are free-range, they’re required to have access to the outdoors—but that may amount to a narrow patch of dirt. Access to it can be a tiny door cut into the back of the shed, which in an overcrowded barn stuffed with hens, the birds may not ever notice, let alone use.
- Organic: This label dictates that the birds are antibiotic and hormone-free, in addition to being provided with access to the outdoors. Still, some organic farms abuse the system by housing their hens in overcrowded sheds—with a small, unused door. Under certain conditions, some may also make their chickens endure the painful process of beak trimming that’s common in factory farms.
- Certified Humane: According the Humane Society, even this certification allows for farmers to house chickens indoors at all times if they choose, and also allows beak cutting. A similar term, “American Humane Certified” even allows laying hens to be caged.
Instead, look for Pasture Raised chickens. ”A label used increasingly by smaller, sustainable chicken farms to indicate that they legitimately raise their birds outside, on an actual pasture. Hens also enjoy access to shelter when they choose to take it, and they’re raised without the use of harmful chemicals or painful procedures.”
Where can you find Pasture Raised eggs?
- Whole Foods
- Real Foods
- Your farmers markets!
Read more here: http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/03/28/ethical-eggs?cmpid=tpfood-eml-2013-3-30-eggs
Activist Blogger Scores Big Win With Chipotle
A Minty Fresh Spin on Salmon.
I absolutely loved this meal. Such a refreshing and light take on a traditional baked salmon dishes, and uses such fresh and beneficial whole ingredients. Best of all - yeah, it might look like a gourmet dish, but takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
Cucumber Mint Wild Salmon
- Prep wild salmon by rinsing, dressing with a dash of olive oil, pink sea salt and lemon. Wrap in parchment paper and place in 350 degree oven. Start your timer. 20 minutes.
- Dice 1/2 organic cucumber, 1/2 organic red onion, 1 organic garlic clove, and a heaping handful of de-stemmed fresh organic mint leaves.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of organic plain Greek yogurt. I love Wallaby Organic brand, found at Whole Foods.
- Mix all above ingredients into bowl and flavor with 1/2 organic squeezed lemon and 1/4 teaspoon of cumin.
- Check salmon at 20 minute mark and be sure cooked through to your liking.
- Dress salmon with your mint chutney, and serve with a side of steamed organic broccoli.
Not like I have to sell this anymore, but the dish is 100% gluten-free, VERY low dairy intake due to the Greek yogurt variety, no sugar, low salt, and about a bajillion health benefits on your plate.