Peak summer = vacation! Regardless if it’s a three hour car trip to Tahoe, or thirteen hour plane ride to Florence (can I come please?), it most likely means you are straying from your daily routine….and it’s usually tough to make the healthiest of choices while on the road. Being prepared ahead of travel can help you to avoid some of the not-so-appealing options while traveling in both food and personal care. Some of my favorites in my ‘survival kit’ for you:
- Travel size Giovanni Shampoo and Conditioner: made of organic oils, nutrients, herbs and renewable plants. Free of all parabens and sulfates. At Whole Foods.
- Caudalie travel size face wash: amazing soap-free foaming cleanser. None of the following junk: parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates. A bit expensive for the size, but your face will adore you while on vacay. At Sephora.
- All Good Goop: this stuff is amazing and has like a bajillion end-uses. Chapped lips, dry hands, night cream for the face…basically like your mini pot of all-purpose Vaseline, but completely natural and organic. PS it lasts FOREVER. At Real Foods, SF. Or here: http://www.amazon.com/All-Good-Goop-Organic-Healing/dp/B003MUQRWU
- Your secret weapon against nasty germs, bacteria and viruses you will encounter along your journey. This homeopathic topical lotion’s main purpose is for relief of cold sores or fever blisters, but can actually be applied directly around the throat area at the onset of those worn down or cold symptoms. I swear this stuff is magic, and I always have the small 1 oz bottle on me, especially while traveling! Can be found here: http://www.naturalhealinghouse.com/syntrion_syimmune.php
Finally, in terms of snacks for the plane and good go-to’s to keep in your bag when there aren’t health-friendly options….
- Bag of organic all-natural almonds, bought in bulk from Whole Foods.
- Green apples. They keep well out of the fridge and are a filling and refreshing snack.
- These granola bars are my absolute favorite. Two Moms In the Raw is an incredible brand. All organic, gluten free, and totally filling. Ingredients are: Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, Blueberries, Agave, Spices and Sea Salt. You can find these online, at select heath food stores and even some Starbucks!
Happy and healthy trailblazing.